Monday, August 25, 2014

What I Learned in School Today

1. Minion babble is the same in German and English. Which I guess makes sense as it is another language.

2. The German title for Despicable Me literally translates as "I am simply incorrigible"

3. "It's so fluffy I'm going to die!" in German translates as "It's so fluffy I'm going insane!"

4. Mike Wasowski is Mike Glotzkowski (Gluts-kah-ski) in German

5. Baking soda is hard to find, but check the American section of the grocery.

6. Nutella is wonderful on a fresh soft bretzel.

7. It can be cheaper to buy a BMW (I think this was the car brand mentioned to me, otherwise just insert another fancy German car company of your choice here) online from America and having it shipped, than to actually buy it in Germany. Even accounting for switching some things over(like the speedometer to km/h instead of mph). However, it won't come with any sort of warranty this way.

8. Even I can get tired of Despicable Me and minions.

9. Human statues/silver men are just as scary here as they are in America.

10. There are Dunkin Donuts here. A lot of Dunkin Donuts.

11. "Cookies" refers specifically to chocolate chip cookies, while "keks" (pronounced cakes) refers to any type of cookie.

12. "Eis" means ice cream, which can cause disappointment if you ask a child if they want ice after they hit their head.

13. Children (and sometimes adults) swear in English because it isn't as bad as swearing in German. This makes for interesting dinners.

14. In German, there are separate words to differentiate a human eating from an animal eating.

15. The concept of a food baby crosses language barriers. Next we will see if the concept of naming your food baby does.

16. According to my youngest at least, babies are delicious. (I SWEAR I NEVER SAID ANYTHING LIKE THIS AROUND HIM! In German, at least)

17. "Muesli" refers to all granola, cereal, and muesli type products.

18. Mimicking German you learned from a 2.5 year old just leads to confused stares.

19. Figuring out German sentence structure became a lot easier when I started copying the sentence structure my host family uses (mistakenly) in English.

20. Jam comes in all flavors. All. Flavors. Mango, strawberry, pineapple, cherry, ginger, plum, grape, blueberry, raspberry, lime, kiwi, apricot, peach, rhubarb, lemon, apple, and any (I do mean any) combination thereof.

21. Some things are just hard to explain, period. Whether it's the issues within the American educational system or the point of marshmallow fluff.

No comments:

Post a Comment