Sunday, September 20, 2015

Sara the Vagabond in Siena

I've heard Siena is really beautiful and it is my best friend's favorite Italian city so I set off to see what the fuss was about.

While trying to figure out how to get there online, everyone said the bus was better (faster and cheaper than the train), but any links to bus sites were broken. After much searching and searching I finally found what seemed to be a current schedule and information on where to take the bus from. I let myself sleep as late as I wanted since I was tired out from the previous day, so I ended up getting a bus to Siena at 11. 

If any of you are in Florence and wanting to go to Siena, do not take the bus if you are prone to motion-sickness. It is a windy and bumpy hour! Once we got to Siena I was not entirely sure what I wanted to do. I knew there were lots of churches and things to be climbed. But I am one who would prefer to walk around and stare and oggle and gander at lots of architecture from outside than wait in two-hour lines in the sun (not that waiting to gawk at architecture from the inside is bad, just not always my thing). So I stared and gawked and ogled various buildings, until I met up with another au pair I had talked to on facebook.



We walked around a little bit, then stopped in to have lunch somewhere. Although we were only getting pizza, it took forever and a day to come out. Not that I want pizza to come out right away, because that is suspicious, but it was forever and a day!

After this we went to get tickets to climb the Torre di Mangia and something else, but it was later in the day and they were all sold out. So instead we went inside the museum, which ended up also having breathtaking views of Tuscany.



In the basement there was an interesting exhibit where an artist had taking sheets of copper, then partically oxidized them to create images of statues. I liked this a little more than some of the paintings upstairs because (get ready for a pretentious statement) there are only so many paintings of Madonna and child that I can look at on a given day. 

After this we both headed back towards to bus stop, a little heat-beat. We said goodbye, then I was off on the bus headed back to Florence. On my way back to the hostel I stopped at the grocery store to get some fruit and cheese for dinner. There were about a million kinds of cheese (though still not quite as much as in Germany I think, or at least not as wide a variety), and finally I picked out a little wedge of camambert.

Not to get all Oh, well I've been to Europe you know so I know all about good food and bread and cheese and wine. But why have I been wasting my time with brie when there is camambert? WHY. I love brie, but camambert is a million times better!

After dinner I finished up a bit of planning for traveling around (As of writing this I still need to buy a bus ticket to Naples, and find a place to stay in Palermo, but I am not too worried). Then of course I ended the evening with a trip to get gelato (this time Oreo and coffee).



I tried getting my gelato in a cup this time, because it always melts so fast that in the cone you have to eat quickly and not enjoy as much or wear your gelato all over your hands. The cups at the place are quite challow though and thus it is piled high. So, getting the cup instead of cone didn't help much. Womp womp. 

No comments:

Post a Comment