Monday, September 10, 2012

Wizard Magic?


The Atrium is an area in a building on the other side of the Loch of me. There are a couple places to eat, and lots of open space to mingle. However…I think the building it is located in is growing. I discover I new place everyday. From the outside it doesn’t look that big but trust me, like a wizard tent, it is much bigger on the inside. The first day I found the Union shop, Stir Café, and the Global Food place (pizza and burgers mostly). Yesterday, it turns out there is a bookstore, a pharmacy, a travel agency (Unicorn Travel), and a grocery store in there. Today, I find out it serves as the entrance to the library, there is the Underground Café which serves Starbucks and is HUGE—so much seating space! (This is also where they have been having the Fresher’s Week parties)—also underground (though not linked to the Café, you have to go through a maze to get there) is the MacRobert Arts Center, and a bar. I also found that there is a newsstand type store, which sells snacks and magazines and such. I don’t know what is left to discover tomorrow! It cannot possibly get any bigger!



I have discovered the wonderful combination of mature cheese, hummous, and peach sandwiches! So good! Just the right amount of savory and sweet! Hopefully the refrigerator is cold enough and nothing will go bad. I think tomorrow I will adventure and try the Scottish oatmeal! But maybe I will not be so adventurous in the morning. 


Some candies from the Fayre. The jellybeans are shaped
funny! The lollipop is black currant flavoured.... which seems
to be a popular flavor here.
Today here was the Freebie Fayre. I went with a girl from Finland that I had met at an info session just before. We got lots of little candies (So yum!). However…..All these people wanted me to write down my email to be on their email list. Only, I did not understand a word of what they were saying to me (between the noise and the accent), so I don’t really know what I will be getting emails about. There was also free pizza from two places. One place claimed to have “Real New York Pizza”. Uhm, even with my lack of New York Pizza knowledge I knew this was an imposter.  First of all, if you have to tell someone it’s authentic, it can’t possibly be! Otherwise there would be no need to say so. But also, it did not Wow me. And I think if New York Pizza is as good as everyone claims, I would be more Wowed. The other place was Dominoes, and because I was hungry, I had a slice of theirs. I was also curious if it would taste different here (ala Canadian Oreos). It did! The crust was not garlicky as it is here, maybe they only "improved" the recipe in the U.S?




Most importantly about this Freebie Fayre though was a booth from Game Station—A place very similar to Game Stop. They had all sorts of San Francisco things. It must be from a new game or something. I am currently wearing a shirt with a yellow tinted picture of a Cadillac in front of the San Francisco skyline, and it says “Driver San Francisco” on it. I also got a bumper sticker that says “DRV SF” on it.




Okay, Scotland, enough with the imported imposter things of other cities! I like you the way you are! Haggis and all! Speaking of which….I impulsively bought a tiny thing of it today. I think I will try it tomorrow! If I am still adventurous after the Scottish oatmeal, that is. 

2 comments: