Thursday, November 8, 2012

Never Going Back to America!

Okay guys. I know in the last post I said that I would only come back to the States if I was assured that there were places with acceptable quality empire biscuits. But I have to take that back.

I.
Am.
Never.
Going.
Back.

Never
Ever.
Ever.

Why?

Because I just had the best healthcare experience of my (albeit short) life. Fo realz.

So yesterday I woke up and my right (my right, not your right) eye was a little pinky. Throughout the day it progressively got worse, but I just figured I got some makeup in it or something. I mean, it didn't hurt or anything, and my vision was its normal 20/20 (be jealous!). But I got a little worried that by the end of the day it was still so pink!

The next morning it wasn't better, so I walked to the medical centre the second it opened in order to try and get an appointment for the same day. And I did! I was so excited.

At this point, it was 8am and I was wide awake. So I made some of my *new instant coffee* and had some *new fancy cereal with bran flakes and fruit and nuts* and puttered about for a couple of hours, until I decided that on a normal day I would be up already and should do some school work.

Finally, At 3:10 in the afternoon I walked back to the medical centre, ready for a long wait and lots of paperwork that the doctor doesn't read anyway.

So I got there and gave the receptionist my name. She typed something on the computer, then told me to sit. However, she forgot to hand me the obligatory clipboard and questionnaire.

I then realized this is because THERE IS NO CLIPBOARD AND QUESTIONNAIRE!

That is correct.
There is no clipboard.
No questionnaire to fill out.

Which means that the doctor you finally see does not ask you the exact same questions as the questionnaire, making it clear that they did not read it and that it was pointless to fill out!

The waiting room was possibly the most enjoyable one I have ever been in. That includes the one at my dentist with all the Highlights magazines, and the pediatrics facilities at Kaiser with toys.

The benches were the polished wooden ones with green cushions you would see in a train station. There were little paintings of campus on the walls. Outside I could see bunnies frolicking about. There were so many posters with so much information everywhere. And, they were playing music. And not weird "on-hold" music that you get when on the phone with a bank or airline. An actual radio station.

I thought I would be sitting there forever. But then, after about five minutes (right at 3:20!) I was called in! The Doctor (not that "The Doctor") asked how I was doing and why I was there. I explained that my eye was a little bit cray and everything. Then he did the normal shining a light in it and telling me to look up and down and straight and all that, meanwhile we chatted about the upcoming election.

Then he printed out a prescription for antibiotics and said I was done!

Now, I was fairly certain that the doctor's visit would be free. I had heard as much. Then he told me that the prescription was free too!

I was a little ridiculously happy about that. I mean, obviously I would have bought it anyway since I couldn't go around like that, but I was so surprised that even the medication was free! He told me to take it down to the pharmacy on campus, and that they would take care of it for me.

Now. In the States, or at least in California with Kaiser, getting a prescription filled takes forever. Sometimes you can sit in a room and wait for it, but often you drop off your slip and come back later in the day. Or, if it isn't urgent, you get it mailed to you. So I rushed down to the pharmacy, hoping they would be able to fill the prescription by the end of the day.

I gave it to the woman, and she asked if I wanted to wait for it. I said I would, but expecting a long wait I started wandering around the store. Mostly looking at the hair dye. Then, less than five minutes later, she handed it to me!

I was back in my room before 4 o'clock.

This. Is. Crazy.

So, fo realz guys, I like the healthcare here too much. I can't wait to get sick again!

No comments:

Post a Comment