Thursday, November 1, 2012

Three Days of Halloween

I think November has come way. Too. Fast.

Seriously. I have less than two months left here! That is not enough time! I don't want to go back yet! WAHHH!

Anyway, these past three days have been filled with Halloween events. I did not realize it was so big over here! 

Monday night some friends and I went on a ghostwalk in Stirling. Although I would not say that the walk itself was scary, it was definitely entertaining and lots of fun. The only problem was that it was FREEZING. Seriously. It didn't help that we were all dressed up as witches. Under my two layers of tights, my pair of socks, and gloves on, I still couldn't feel my toes or fingers.

We walked up around the Old Town Jail, the Tolbooth (which used to be a prison! bahm bahm bahm bahhhhmmm), and of course the Valley Cemetery. The walk leaders told us all sorts of stories about phantoms and the ghosts of politicians and criminals that walk Stirling's streets after dusk.

After the walk was over, we went to catch the bus back to campus. Unfortunately, the next one wasn't coming for a half hour or so. To stay warm we popped into a Subway. 

Confession time: This is the first Subway I have been in. Ever. In my life.

I know. I live under a rock. Anyway, in addition to their array of sandwiches, they had so many cookies! And they were 3 for 99p! Obviously we had to get a bunch of cookies. I tried a raspberry cheesecake one, which was delicious! I also went with classic chocolate chip, and double chocolate chip (saving this one for the next day).

Tuesday I got up early for my morning seminar class, I later had to have a coffee transfusion because I was so tired. In the afternoon I went to work on a psychology experiment for my cognition class. We mostly ended up asking a bunch of random people to participate in it.

That night there was an inter-hall Halloween party in the club on campus. Unfortunately, I made the responsible life decision to not go and instead work on my essay that is 100% of my grade for the course. Yes. 100%. Let's not talk about how crazy that is!

Wednesday, actual Halloween, started off slow. I spent about three hours with some of the girls in my psychology group getting people to do our study. I'm halfway done with the amount of participants I need, which means I will be grabbing lots of my friends over the next few days to do the study.

After this I visited my friend's flat in town and we made a lemon cake. We had bought the mix for it over the mid-semester break, but never got around to actually making it. It. Was. So. Delicious. The only problem was that we had two slices each and ended up very sugar hyper and with stomach aches. We decided that it would be a good idea to go on a walk around town to burn off energy, so we did.

So good.

By the time I got back to my room, it was only seven o'clock. I was ready for bed! I started work on my essay again, and got about a third of it done (sadly, the easy third), before I sugar-crashed around nine thirty, and had to call it quits.

I don't think I will ever look at lemon cake again. Ever. Seriously. I was so full. My head was buzzing from the sugar.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Today I went grocery shopping. Which does not sound exciting, but trust me. It was. This morning my food inventory was:
-A few scoops of oatmeal
-a potato
-a can of baked beans
-a can of kidney beans

So I was understandably glad to go to Aldi. I bought so many groceries! I even went crazy and got some cereal and milk! I'm so excited to have that for breakfast tomorrow.

I also need to gush about something. Empire Biscuits. They are basically the most delicious thing I have ever had ever. Including flourless chocolate cake, and burritos from El Torro, and Falafel from both Fantastic's and that place in Providence, and raspberries, and peanut butter. For those of you who are not acquainted with these treats, I will explain. An empire biscuit is two butter cookies, sandwiched together with a layer of jam (I have not figured out what type of jam yet-it tastes familiar but I can't place it), then with a layer of icing on top and garnished with either a gumdrop or half of a maraschino cherry. They are also the biscuits that the triplets in Brave eat under the table in the beginning of the movie. How can I not love them???


Basically they are delicious. Today I got one from the Starbucks on campus (only my second one-I have done so well!), and ate it with some tea and felt very pleased about the whole thing.


The point of this gushing is that I am not going to come home until I am assured that I can find empire biscuits of acceptable quality in the States. So ya'll better get on that!


No comments:

Post a Comment