Sunday, October 21, 2012

Mid-Semester Break: Day 3/10

Today was the most gorgeous day I have experienced in Forever. It was warm, but not hot. And it smelled alternately like summer and autumn. At least one of those is appropriate. I think I kept walking by places having a barbecue or doing something with charcoal, because I kept smelling it which is what reminded me of summer.

Anyway. I stayed up far too late last night reading Perks of Being a Wallflower, and this morning I got up and finished it. At this point I realized I should probably change out of my pajamas and you know, do silly things like eat breakfast and start my day.

I could see out the window that it was sunny. But I mean, this is Scotland (saying that never gets old!), and that really means nothing in terms of translating to temperature. So I put on my jacket and went outside, ready for the cold.

To my surprise, I really didn't need the jacket! I was probably going to be the only dork wearing one on my walk into town! I just kept it on, since I did not feel like climbing the stairs to the fifth floor of Geddes and putting it back.

Lately, I have been worried about autumn. You see, in San Francisco it doesn't really happen. The leaves don't change that much, and everything is pretty much the same. Then I moved to New England, and wow! It is beautiful! So when it got to be October here, and everything looked the same, I got worried. After being spoiled with two beautiful falls, I was not about to give it up that easily. I mean, a few trees changed colours.  And some leaves fell. And there were pumpkin flavoured things at the Starbucks in Edinburgh. But it just didn't feel like fall yet!

Which is why, when I went outside today, I was very happy to see that the trees had finally caught on to the change in seasons. I mean, fo' realz! It's about time!



















Now all I need is a pumpkin latte, muffin, pie, and some bread and my fall will be complete =]

Speaking of fall things, apples! I bought some apples the other day, and even though they are not green apples (the best kind), they're so good! And I eat one every day, in order to keep the doctor away and all that. I also found this thing online, called "Apples in a bag" that is basically a quick 2 minute way to make an apple pie-like filling to eat. I've made it twice now and put it in my oatmeal-it is deLIIICious, oh my goodness!


Anyway, after taking this fall-walk, I went to the library (lie-berry) on campus. First, I printed my ballot so that I can mail it tomorrow and be a good participating citizen. Then I checked out the DVD selections they have, and it is pretty....all over the place. Pretty much any film adaptation of a Jane Austen novel can be found there, as well as Braveheart, Pirates of the Caribbean  some Daffy Duck et al. cartoon, and a handful of American tv-shows, though never the full series. For instance, they have two copies of the first season of 24, and a couple of discs of True Blood. I checked out two movies, but it was later pointed out that they might not play on my computer, so we will see.

Also, it has come to my attention that my friend, who claimed I would not be able to blog all break, now thinks that they have successfully used reverse psychology on me, and they are so pleased with themselves for having used my own area of study against me. Well, the joke is on them because I have actually used psychology to make them THINK they had that effect on me, when in reality I am just living my own life and enjoy the occasional Princess Bride reference.

For dinner tonight I tried to make Mac n' cheese in a mug. I was expecting this.


The reality was a lot messier than this. I also burned my finger and tongue, so that was lovely. The mixture was very soupy, and I kept sticking it back in the microwave hoping to evaporate the heck out of it and make it better. This proved exceptionally silly because I know that milk expands when heated up, yet I tried this method anyway and got cheesy milk all over the microwave dish.

Anyway, the flavour was good! What I could taste, at least. I think next time I will use less milk, and let it sit longer to cool and thicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment